About Our Community School
La Mesa Elementary Community School
A Community School Coordinator works at the direction of the school principal. The coordinator is responsible for building relationships with school staff and community partners, for engaging the families and community residents and coordinating an efficient delivery of supports to students both inside and outside of the classroom. Using public schools as hubs, community schools bring together many partners to offer a range of supports and opportunities to children, youth, families, and communities.
A Community School is:
- A belief that the entire community – teachers, principals, school faculty, families, students, neighbors, businesses, the city, the county, higher education, faith-based organizations, non-profits, the state, etc. – are all responsible for student success.
- A strategy to equitably organize, align and connect community and resources around shared outcomes for student and neighborhood success.
- A place set in the context of a neighborhood that becomes a center of the community and is open to and owned by everyone .
Community School Coordinator
Every community school responds to unique local needs and includes the voices of students, families, and residents. At La Mesa Elementary, some of the Community School services provided are:
- Free after school clubs for students K-5 sponsored by ABC community partnership, APS, Title I and La Mesa Arts Academy
- Weekend snack packs sponsored by New Beginnings Crest View Church
- School supplies bank, clothing and uniform bank and referrals
- Refugee family support
- Adult and family workshops
- Community garden
- Mobile food pantry provided by Roadrunner Food Bank
For more information about the ABC Community School Partnership between Albuquerque Public Schools, The City of Albuquerque and Bernalillo County please visit the following sites.